Wednesday, February 9, 2011

How to turn any digi into a pin you can wear or give as a gift...

Supplies Needed
First, you will need to gather some supplies. You can use some creative license here... using the items you are most comfortable with. I used the following items to make this cute example out of Priscilla's Be Mine Kitty (available on her site for purchase):
DIGI STAMP OF YOUR CHOICE (BE MINE KITTY USED HERE)
CRYOGEN WHITE CARD STOCK FROM PAPER TEMPTRESS (IT SPARKLES!!!!)
SHARP SCISSORS TO CUT DETAIL
COPIC SKETCH MARKERS (YOU CAN USE WHAT EVER YOU LIKE HERE)
SCOTCH QUICK DRY ADHESIVE
QUICKSTIK (OR ANY OTHER TOOL FOR JEWELS)
SWAROVSKI CRYSTALS
PAINT BRUSH
 WAX PAPER (SMALL PIECE)
GLOSSY ACCENTS BY RANGER
RE-POSITIONABLE ADHESIVE
PIN BACKING
Use Your Favorite Digi's
Start by opening your image processing program. I used Inkscape here. Resize the digi until you get the desired size then print it out on your cardstock. 
Re-positionable Adhesive
Cut another piece of the same cardstock into approximately the same size as your digi. This will serve as your backing to the pin. Using the two layers gives the pin more durability. Use re-positionable adhesive to temporarily attach it to the back of the printed digi. You do not want to use permanent adhesive yet. Trust me! LOL!!! It won't end up sticking by the time you finish your pin either. 
Cut Both Layers
Using your scissors, carefully cut out the digi. Cut as close as you can while still preserving the image. This kitty was a little difficult since she has whiskers. I chose to leave a little white around them so they would be stronger and not break off. Remember, you are cutting through two layers of paper here. When you're done, you should end up with two matching kitty's. One printed and one for the back.  
Both Pieces
Color your digi however you'd like. I used my Copic's here and made a grey little kitty with pink ears. :)
Back and Front
Make sure to color the pin backing as well. I usually color it the same as the primary color in my stamp. In this example, I used the same grey (C5 I believe). 
Here's what it looks like after I was finished coloring. 
Work Quickly!
Ok, here's the fun part! Just kidding, not really! This is actually the hardest part. I use the Scotch Quick Dry because it dries quickly and doesn't come apart when it dries. I've tried many different glues and this one works the best for the pins. I usually just put a blob (that's a technical term by the way) on my paper and I have paint brushes that I use specifically for glue application. I would NOT suggest using a brush that you actually use for painting. Even if you rinse the brush well... it will still not come completely clean.
At this point, I quickly spread an even layer of glue on the back. Attach the matching back. If you don't work quickly, you may end up with edges that don't match. Don't worry... it even happens to me and I've made a ton of these things already. LOL!! You can use your ultra detailed scissors and trim it up a bit. 
Front and back views... see! I didn't get it all the way on there before the glue set either! :)
Add Your Mark :)
I always add my little signature to my pieces. I also make sure to leave the copyright from the artist (see the front). You could even put a cute little message on the back if you prefer. :)


Use Wax Paper
Put your project on a piece of wax paper. I always use this to keep the Glossy Accents off of my desk. I'm not the neatest when it comes to glazing. 
Apply an even coating. I put it on pretty thick. Keep in mind, the thicker you put it on, the longer it takes to dry. Don't touch it until it dries... or you'll get fingerprints. Or if you really want to go for that "personal" touch, go ahead and leave the fingerprint. Ha ha! 
Here's the kitty after her clear coat on the front. 
Here she is with the front clear coat dry. 
Now that the front is dry, flip it over (still on the wax paper) and apply another generous even coating to the back. 
Once you've added the clear coat, take the pin backing and embed it into the lacquer. You can also wait for the clear coat to dry and use an adhesive pin backing. However, I've found that they set the pin forward too much when wearing it and they tend to come off easily. They don't come off easy when they're embedded in the Glossy Accents. 
Okay, once the clear coat is all dry, you can add some embellishments. I love crystals so I used them here. I use the Quickstik to apply mine. I also added another light coating of the Glossy Accents to the entire front of the pin before applying the crystals. I also bent some scrap paper and made a little cradle for the pin to sit in so it would dry evenly (remember the pin backing is on at this point). 
And voila! Here is the finished product... ready to give as a special gift! I hope you enjoyed the tutorial! Please don't hesitate to send me a note if you have any questions. 
TRY THIS: 
Now that you're an expert on making pins... try printing your digi out on ink jet Shrinky Dink film and making matching earrings! Use the glossy accents to attach the earring backs. 

1 comment: